Having your windows replaced can feel like a large-scale task — especially if you’re looking to replace all of the windows in your house. Getting replacement windows in London means added planning ahead to make sure you have a suitable time slot, but it really isn’t stressful, and looking in the winter might make things even easier…
Depending on how many windows you want to replace in your home, wait times and the time it takes to actually fit the units can vary quite substantially.
A lot of our customers worry that they will have to wait for long periods and when the time finally comes they might not be able to accommodate us and our fitting schedule.
Such worries are unfounded though — we are here to accommodate you!
Fitting replacement windows in London is much like fitting replacement windows anywhere else in the country — life’s just a little busier than most places. So it can be helpful to think and plan ahead.
Here’s why we think getting your windows replaced in winter might well be the best option if you’re looking to upgrade your home’s energy efficiency, looks and security.
Replacement Windows: What Is the Process?
First of all, it’s important to understand the process when it comes to getting replacement windows. Again, just because you’re in London, the process doesn’t differ significantly from elsewhere in the country.
If your property is particularly hard to get to or if your street is very narrow or busy — very possible in a built-up place like London — then special measures will, of course, have to be taken.
But we have well over 30 years’ experience dealing with London streets, Londoners, and the special challenges that London brings. So you can count on us to get your replacement windows done without any hassle at all.
The step-by-step is quite simple:
- Speak to us about your requirements. This could be through a visit to our showroom, sending us a quick and easy photo quote request, or by contacting us through other means.
- Settle on the products you would like. We have a very wide variety of windows — from uPVC replacement windows all the way through to aluminium bifold doors.
- Arrange for a convenient time for us to visit. After we have received the windows, we will need to come to your property to install them. As we will be able to accurately estimate how long it’ll take for us to acquire your windows, we can do this very soon after your order.
- Prepare your home for the replacement windows. We would advise you make the areas around your old windows as clear as possible to help facilitate quick removal and installation.
- Remove your old windows. We will first have to remove the windows that are in place. We will make sure this is done cleanly and safely and will use drop cloths and safety equipment. You can ask us more about this process at any time.
- Replacement windows installed in turn. We do not want to have your home open to the elements overnight or for any significant period, and as such we will ensure that when a window is removed, the replacement window will be fitted shortly afterwards.
- Exterior sealing and cladding of new windows. We make sure that your new windows fit perfectly for your home. This might mean some additional cladding, or it may simply mean sealing in the windows frames manually.
For a more in-depth look at windows installation, have a look at one of our case studies, and for more online help on how to choose which windows are right for you, have a look at this excellent guide.
How Long Can It Take?
As previously mentioned, this depends on the size of the order and the state of the old windows. A couple of window installers can expect to replace every window in a three-bedroom bay-windowed semi-detached property within four days.
If you take this measurement and apply it to your own property and situation, you should be able to come up with a reasonable estimate.
Of course, keep in mind that if your order is larger, it may take longer for us to manufacture and acquire the units themselves, which adds further time to the overall window replacement schedule.
The best thing to do is talk to us about your specific requirements, and we can give you an accurate estimate of how long it will be before your London home has had its windows fully replaced.
What If It Rains?
Unless it’s torrential, a little bit of rain will not affect the overall installation process. Our skilled team has plenty of experience working in all the conditions you might expect.
The sealant that is used to make your house weathertight once work is complete does need to dry, but as long as you do not interfere with the seals themselves they will eventually dry without an issue.
This is London, not the Arctic Circle! The weather will likely not pose any significant problems for window installation schedules.
If there is heavy rain, we will make sure your home is waterproof until the downpour passes and will continue working when the conditions improve.
Get in touch today to ask us about how soon you could get your London home’s replacement windows fitted. We work within a 9-mile radius of our Upper Norwood showroom and would love to fit your new windows in 2019!